One of my friends asked me, “Dude! How to clean a waffle maker perfectly as it’s not working as it used to be.”
To be honest, “Cleaning a waffle iron is one hell of a task, especially when you don’t care about the aftermaths of cooking waffles.”
These grimy and greasy grates need to be cleaned as soon as you are done with the cooking process.
Cutting long story short, to help you clean and maintain a waffle iron, I’ve decided to write a comprehensive guide.
It includes step-by-step instructions on how to clean your Belgian waffle maker. Adding to that, I’ll also mention some best ways to keep the appliance as good as new at the same time.
Finally, I’ll answer some of the frequently asked questions, and I hope that you’ll be able to get the benefit of my guide if you give it a thorough read.
Read About: Australia’s Best Waffle Makers Reviews
All in all, let us move on to cleaning a dirty and grimy waffle maker:
Warning! The cleaning process involves a non-sticky electric waffle maker. So, make sure that you have the right appliance before you start experimenting on it.
How to Clean a Waffle Iron? Follow the Steps:
Things You Will Need Before Cleaning the Waffle iron:
The essential accessories to aid are:
- A soft brush or paper towels.
- Microfiber cloth. You could also use rags.
- Tongs with silicone or plastic cap. (Optional accessory)
- Liquid dish soap.
- Hydrogen peroxide. (Available at Pharmacies)
- Baking Soda and,
All these accessories are easily available in kitchens except Hydrogen peroxide. You could find this chemical easily from a nearby pharmacy.
10 Easy Steps to Clean a Waffle Maker:
1. Unplug the Electric Waffle Maker:
Never start the cleaning process when the appliance is plugged in. Unplug the waffle maker and allow it to cool down completely.
2. Removing Loose Crumbs:
Loose crumbs are prominent when you are done with cooking waffles. To remove them instantly, use paper towels or a used brush.
Note that you must never use any abrasive metal to remove loose crumbs. It could end up damaging the non-stick surface of the plates.
3. Absorb Excess of Oil:
Use paper towels yet again to absorb excess oil from the grates. To reach the corners of cooking grates, make sure that you fold the paper towel accordingly.
When done, use a dry paper towel to remove any leftover oil residue perfectly.
4. Preparing the Cleaning Cloth:
Now would be the time to clean the waffle maker extensively. For that, you need to prepare the cloth which you intend to use on the grates.
I suggest using a rag with a small texture or a microfiber cloth as such fabric has better penetrating power.
Simply wet the cloth a little bit and pour some amount of liquid dish soap on it. You can use your regular dish soap for this purpose. No need to spend money on anything expensive.
5. Wiping down the Inside of Waffle Maker:
The soapy cloth is now ready to wipe the inside of the waffle grid. Try to wipe every nook and corner of the appliance. Make sure that there isn’t any oil or grease left.
Take help from the tongs and use them to insert the rag in deep areas. Take your time as the dirt won’t go that easily.
6. For Removing Burnt Food:
To remove burnt food from the waffle makers, you’ll need the services of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda.
Mix baking soda in hydrogen peroxide in a small bowl and leave it be for at least 5 minutes.
7. Applying Paste:
When ready, apply paste on the grates of the waffle maker. Keep in mind that it must reach the burnt areas.
After applying the paste, leave the waffle machine for a couple of hours. If the stinks are too much stubborn, then give at least 3 to 4 hours to paste for absorbing the burnt residue.
8. Clean the Paste Thoroughly:
Whenever the paste starts getting brown, it would mean that the burnt residue is getting dissolved in it.
After this, take a clean wet cloth and thoroughly clean the grates and side areas of waffle iron.
Continue this process until the burnt food is removed from the grates completely.
This is where you’d need a toothpick or a narrow wood stick. Scrape all the nooks and corners of your Belgian waffle maker to remove any batter or crumb residue.
When done, take a soapy rag and wipe out the exterior of the waffle maker thoroughly. Don’t leave any area uncovered.
The last step involves drying the waffle maker thoroughly. For this purpose, take a clean, soft, and dry microfiber cloth and rub it on all areas of the waffle maker.
That’s how one can clean a dirty, grimy, and greasy waffle maker without any complex effort.
First off, try to get a waffle maker with detachable cooking grates. This way, the cleaning process becomes quite easy.
In this context, if the cooking grates are detachable, simply soak them in soapy water, and wash them thoroughly.
Using cooking spray is not a good idea while making waffles. The buildup these sprays make is not easy to clean.
Bonus Tips to Maintain Your Waffle Machine:
I am a NERD when it comes to maintaining different kitchen appliances.
That said, some of the tips I’d want to give as a bonus to maintain a waffle maker are:
1. First things first, never ignore the waffle machine when you are done making waffles with it. Clean it as soon as you get free time and don’t leave it on tomorrow.
2. Purchase a waffle maker with detachable grates if possible. This way, the cleaning is hassle-free.
3. Critically analyze the instructions manual offered by manufacturer to avoid any damage while cleaning.
4. DO NOT use abrasive or sharp metals to clean the cooking grates of a waffle maker. You’ll end up removing the non-stick coating of the appliance.
5. If the waffles are already getting stuck on the cooking grates, then it’s better to use wax paper between the plates. Use it before pouring the batter to avoid any mess.
6. Handle your electric waffle maker with great care. Make sure that the water doesn’t reach the electric parts while you are cleaning it.
7. Use your appliance for making simple waffles only. Don’t try any new recipe if you want to enhance the lifespan of your waffle maker.
8. It’s better to invest in a prestigious waffle maker brand such as Cuisinart or Breville rather than going for cheap waffle irons.
9. Remove dust from the waffle maker if you are using it after a long time.
10. All in all, don’t keep the waffle maker idle for too long. Try preparing delicious and tasty waffles every once in a while.
FAQ – FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
To Sum it Up:
Cleaning and maintaining a waffle maker is not as difficult as one could expect. However, the problem arises when you don’t take care of it more often.
If the waffle maker you’ve got is extremely dirty and greasy, then simply follow the above-mentioned steps to make it look new.
Got any suggestions or queries? Ask us in the comment box mentioned below and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.